Sunday 13 April 2014

Italian restaurant Circolo Degli Italiani


With italian restaurants it happens a bit the same as with the chinese ones: if you hear italian around you, you're in the right place. People were talking to me a lot about the 'real' place where italian meet to eat and discuss, so at the end, being italian myself, I gave it a try.
The outside is a little bit less than impressive, in fact it looks a lot like a pet prison. On the contrary the interior is quite cozy, with big canvas hanging on the walls and plenty of wine bottles around; the general impression is not luxurious, but rather a familiar place where you feel completely at ease and safe, kind of your grandma's house. The people inside were all quite normal, almost chic. Some ladies who lunch, a group celebrating in the private room, some couples... nothing to complain about that. In fact it makes a perfect choice for groups since there are quite a few round tables. On the menu you find all the italian dishes you may like, from the salads and mozzarella-pomodoro, homemade pastas, meats, fish and pizzas. I tried the burrata, which is a lot like mozzarella but more creamy inside, and it was truly delicious, if somehow a bit expensive, 90 dhs; it makes a perfect dish to share. I couldnt find the most typical pizza, the prosciutto, and I had to order the one with Parma ham on it, that of course becomes always very salty if you cook it, and only people with bad taste ask for, but I gave it a chance: big mistake. The thin crusty base was ok but no ressemblance at all with a pizza napolitana, of course if you haven't tried the good one in Italy on a regular basis, you'll find this one ok, still, the closest one in Casablanca remains the pizza from Da Gino (only the one in Gauthier), and also good the one from Bacco et Venere (also in Gauthier). I'm a big fan of filled pasta so I ordered the ravioli with salmon: they were good but way too much sauce, which probably people like, still I couldnt find any italian flavour on it. Tasty, but very heavy. The dessert was completely my fault, I always ask for tiramisu, and in fact I saw some passing by and looked amazing, just comme il faut, still I wanted to push them and ask for Cassata siciliana. Total dissaster, just a cold melting sweet thing most likely only appreciated by child. The prices are fair and there is wine (glass of red 45 dhs), but my poor choice left me with mixed feelings, I will have to give it another try, and I order better.

Circolo degli Italiani
27, bd Bir Anzarane
20330 Casablanca
tel. +212 5 22 98 14 25 



0 comments:

Post a Comment